October 6, 2010

Introducing Dr. Katie Alvord!

We are thrilled to welcome Dr. Katie Alvord to Pediatric Consultants! Please join us in welcoming Dr. Alvord to our team. She is seeing new patients at our downtown office! To read Dr. Alvord's online bio, click hereNext week: Introducing Dr. Blake Bergeron!

Why did you decide to become a pediatrician?


Children keep you on your toes with their curiosity! They are such a joy to see each day. And even in the face of disease and illness, a child will stun you with his resilience and will to recover. Each day as a pediatrician brings new joys and challenges and I cannot imagine any other field of medicine I'd enjoy more.


What do you do stay healthy?


My idea of health includes eating healthfully, being active, making sure to get enough of sleep and having a daily quiet time of prayer. I enjoy running short distances and am now loving the new greenline as my path! The shade is fantastic, everyone is friendly and it's one smooth track! I also try to make it to my sister-in-law's pilates fusion class twice a week. When cooking, I try to use fresh produce as often as possible.


What are your favorite family activities?

Eating! If allowed, I enjoy spending a day in the kitchen, dabbling. Both of my parents and my brother are fantastic cooks, and as a child I have great memories of spending hours together in the kitchen. To this day, it seems we congregate in the kitchen whenever we're together! Brice, Finn, and I spend time walking, going for long drives in the country, and playing outside with our family at their farm.


What do you do in your free time?


I love to try new recipes and page through old cookbooks looking for that next best dish. My husband, Brice, and I enjoy spending time outdoors, sitting by a fire, playing trac ball (is this a lost game?), watching movies or just catching up, enjoying time with family and friends.


What are your favorite things about/to do in Memphis?


I enjoy the small-town feel to Memphis with all of her bigger city perks. Memphis has incredible restaurants, and it seems there is always something new to try. But some goodies keep me coming back like Cafe Eclectic's pancakes - something I crave (at least) once a week. The Orpheum is outstanding and we love to partake in its great shows. And it seems the city has a never-ending supply of family-friendly festivals. Two of my favorites are coming up: the Pink Palace Crafts Fair and the River Arts Fest on South Main. Lastly, the Mississippi is beautiful to watch when relaxing and guarantees a peaceful sunset at the day's end.


Is there anything else you'd like your patients to know about you?


I was born in Ottumwa, Iowa and raised in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Growing up I danced competitively (ballet, lyrical) and played the violin.

No comments:

Post a Comment